Saturday, December 18, 2004

Films 'n Books for Higher Ed in Film and Fiction Course...

Here are the films and books I am going to use in my Higher Education in Film and Fiction course...in just 3 short weeks....!

Films I will use...

-Mona Lisa Smile
-Higher Learning
-The Human Stain
-Educating Rita
-Dead Poets Society
(set in a prep school, but deals with issues pertinent to higher education...and the Robin Williams character is modeled after a professor I had as a freshman at Dartmouth...so, in it goes...)
-Episodes of The Education of Max Bickford
-Oleanna

-Animal House
(maybe? Again, more Dartmouth here...) or Good Will Hunting?

Films I will think about for another time...

-Possession
-Legally Blonde
-Paper Chase

Novels I will use...

-Philip Roth’s The Human Stain
-David Lodge’s Changing Places
-Richard Russo’s Straight Man
-Kingsley Amis’s Lucky Jim
-Jane Smiley’s Moo
-May Sarton’s The Small Room

Novels I will think about for another time...

-Tom Wolfe’s I Am Charlotte Simmons (been readin' lots on this, the publisher sent it to me, but it is long, and the reviews are not great. I think I will pass this time...)
-Michael Chabon’s Wonder Boys (just the movie this first time)
-James Hynes’s The Lecturer’s Tale
-J. M. Coetzee’s Disgrace (I LOVED this novel...but next time)
-A. S. Byatt’s Possession

Theory and Memoir...

I also will set up the discussion with websites, a course pack of analytic articles, and essays about current higher educational issues, such as diversity, the role of the professor, governance, and other issues. I am looking at chapters from memoir or nonfiction discussions of current academic life, such as James Freedman’s Idealism and Liberal Education or James Axtell’s The Pleasures of Academe.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home