Friday, July 22, 2005

The (Not Just) Womanly Art of Negotiation

From the jobs section of the CoHE, a nice tidbit on negotiating salary for a new job. And hey, it ain't only women. I have usually meekly taken what I have been offered, as I always felt fortunate to get an academic job. But no more!

Here's a snippet:

Over lunch, one of the top women in my field told me about her experience switching jobs just a couple of years ago, when she was already famous and hotly recruited. She described her first meeting with her new department chairman this way:
The chair said, 'We're giving you this much in start-up."
She said, "Great!"
He said, "And we'll give you a postdoctoral student."
She said, "Great!"
He said, "And we'll pay your summer salary for two years."
She said, "Great!"
He said, "You're not very good at this, are you?"

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home